11.03.2010

WMW: Honest Confessions About Motherhood


After a week or two of not participating, I'm back on the train. I love WMW. :)

The alternate title to this post is "Confessions of a Tired, Working, Frazzled Mama"...or, as the real title says, honest confessions about motherhood.  So, let's be honest for a moment, shall we?

-- When I became a mom, it was a huge surprise.  I was not prepared to be a mom, didn't know the first thing about babies...and I am pleasantly surprised that my child, who is almost 2, is still in one piece.  He's taught me SO much more than any book on parenting could ever teach me.

-- My mom helps a lot [since i'm pretty much a single mom while j is away], and she takes JJ for weekends. While I like my space and can get things done, I miss him from the second I leave to the second I pick him up.

-- I have way more respect for moms now than I ever did.  I thought motherhood was easy...psht.

-- Now that I'm a mom, people who aren't parents who say ignorant things about parenting [such as, "Oh, I don't see how you can't get your child in the bath tub; baths are fun!" or "Your kid doesn't eat veggies? It isn't that hard to fee them veggies - just shove it in their mouths and call it a day" or "I don't know why you say parenting is hard - it's just a baby!"] make me mad.  And get the side eye from me.

-- Being a working mom is the most fulfilling thing I have EVER done in my life - but it's also the hardest.  And the funny thing is, I'd do it all over again in a heartbeat.  I want to do it again, soon.

-- I never fully realized the value of a life until I starting caring for one of my own.  I can't tell you how many sleepless nights I've had worrying about JJ.

-- I'm another one of those moms who tries to keep her cool, but it doesn't always work.  Sometimes, I let JJ play with things for longer than normal [like the pots and pans, or the laundry doors] just so I can take a few seconds to regroup.  Some days, I let him watch SportsCenter because it's the only thing that will calm him down.  That's just the way it is.  I'm not the perfect parent, but I try my best to make my little boy happy.

-- A lot of things that shouldn't be funny that JJ does...winds up being funny.  Which makes it hard to discipline him when I'm giggling on the outside and cracking up on the inside.  Being a parent may be a tough job, but it's also full of those hilarious moments that you look back on and smile.

-- I didn't breastfeed. After four weeks of frustration and dropping weight, I quit and just strictly formula fed.  I felt a little guilty about it, but the health of my child was at risk, so I stopped.  He's just as happy and healthy as the other kids [minus battles with ear infections], so everything is fine.

I think that's all I've got for now - feel free to add your own, mommies out there. :)


1 comment:

Julia Ladewski said...

oh gosh, you hit so many things! motherhood IS hard. and you don't get it until you experience it firsthand.

thanks for joining in again!! i missed you! ;)