12.15.2010

WMW: A Motherhood Confession



Phew. I've been off this blog train for a few days. A lot's been going on at the home front, so I'll update tonight [if I can get on the computer after JJ falls asleep]. But for now, I'll post with WMW. :)

Today's prompt that I'm writing on is motherhood confessions. Well, the prompt says confession [without the s], so I'll keep it to just one.

My confession for today: I let my kid watch sports. I know a lot of parents around me who don't let their kids watch TV or, if they do, they watch very little of it. I, however, almost always have some sort of sporting event going on. During college football season, Saturdays that I was at home were bad, because it was on either CBS, ESPN, ESPNU, ESPN2, ESPNews, ABC or FoxSports all.day.long. Now that college football is over [besides the glorious bowl games that i can't wait to watch...i already miss college football, and it's only been 2.5 weeks since my last game], things will slow down on that end.

But then, here comes the second half of NBA season. After the All-Star break, I pretty much try to catch every game possible - the playoff chase is just too exciting to miss out on. So, I watch a lot of TV - but 95 percent of it is sports [the other five percent is cooking shows, ghost hunters, holiday movies or glee]. I know some people think that letting your kids watch TV is bad, but JJ really, really likes sports. We take him to all the Thunder games we go to, he had his own season ticket for OSU football this year, and I plan on taking him to other sporting events as he's growing up [next goal: nfl game since he loves football]. I've gotten the side eye from parents before for letting my kid watch sports, but...I really don't care.

His love of basketball has got him interested in it, and he likes "shooting hoops" with the goal I got him for his birthday. He'll take time out to watch some of the game, then he'll go run around for awhile and come back to the game. My kid is active, healthy and loves sports - and I don't feel guilty for it.

Now, I'm not one of those sports parents that, when my kid randomly shoots a basket, I flip out and dream of NBA aspirations. He's 2. I want him to be healthy and happy, and I achieved both of those growing up by playing sports. I'm hoping that one day, he'll follow in my footsteps and take up sports to have fun, stay healthy and make new friends. But for now, he just likes cheering on OSU and the Thunder. :)

No comments: