2.28.2013

27's knockin' on my door...

Growing up, my birthday was the best day of the year. Nowadays, my birthday isn't the best anymore [JJ's birthday and my anniversary trump those], but it's still one of the best days. As I get older, though, my birthdays have turned into a "Hey! A year older! Holla!" day to a "Oh God, 30 is knocking on my door" day.

Don't get me wrong. For the most part, being an adult is awesome. I love being a mom, love being a wife, and I love my job. I certainly love that I'm not in college anymore [i do not miss homework and tests]. But at this point in my life, the age is starting to stack up. Major things that make me feel like I'm getting old:

* JJ is 4. He'll be 5 at the end of the year and will start pre-k in August. I talk about this all the time because it freaks me out that my kid is almost in school.

* I've been graduated from high school for almost 9 years. My 10-year reunion is next year. Wut.

* I've been graduated from college for almost 5 years. Again - wut.

* I've been married for 4 years on the 20th, and Joe and I have been together for 8.5 years. I've been with this man for almost a decade. If you had asked me at 18 if I would still be with the same man, I definitely would've said no [just tellin' the truth babe].

* My first class that I brought in as an academic advisor - the senior class of 2010 - will graduate next May. That blows my mind that I've been with these kids for three years and will see them off next year.

When I was younger, I never thought I would get older. Every birthday seemed to come soooooo sloooooow; I remember it feeling like every birthday from 13 to 18 took five years to hit. But ever since I got to college, birthdays started to go by faster. Now that I'm a wanna-be adult, my birthdays go by even faster. Which sucks, because I don't want time to go by faster. I want it to slow down so I can enjoy every moment, savor it. I know that isn't possible, and that I need to do a better job of living in the moment instead of planning for the future. But I do wish that was possible.

In 28 days, I'll be 27. How did we get to this point so quickly? Wasn't I just 21 yesterday? Sigh.

In honor of my impending 27th birthday, I feel like listening out 27 random facts about me [because i know people are just dying to know more about me...that was sarcasm, by the way]. I'll just list 10 for tonight:

1. I'm a recovering scarfaholic. I love scarves. I own like, 10 [and just bought two more].

2. I wear a size 12 in women. A pair of my running shoes is a men's size [10.5] because some shoes don't go to 12. While I don't like that my foot is so big, it does stop me from spending a ridiculous amount of money on shoes.

3. I wish I had learned to ice skate. I can casually ice skate, but I'm not any good at it. For awhile, I wanted to be a professional ice skater.

4. I also wanted to be a gymnast. I was always too tall to be a gymnast though. Sigh.

5. I love chocolate but don't like chocolate ice cream.

6. I also love ketchup [i will seriously put it on just about anything], but I don't really like tomatoes.

7. My fave drink at Sonic is a cherry vanilla Dr. Pepper. Yum.

8. I think I look funny with straight hair, even though I like straight hair because it's low maintenance.

9. I sucked my thumb until I was about 5. At that age, I went to the dentist, and he told me my teeth would be crooked if I didn't stop. I literally stopped that day. Unfortunately, the same logic didn't work on my sister, who seriously didn't care about all that.

10. I love doing laundry. Sorting, throwing it in the washer/dryer, folding...laundry is my thang. Dishes, however, are not.

Anyway. There's no point to this blog, except to sorta kinda whine about the fact that I am nearly out of my 20s and I feel like I'm getting old [even though i'm not really getting old and 27 is nothing]. So here's to you, 26 - let's make the best of our last 28 days together.

1 comment:

Andi said...

I'm completely the same way about tomatoes and ketchup....and dishes (so NOT for me)