12.31.2015

2015: a brief reflection.

It's hard to believe that the end of another year is upon us already. The first six months of the year absolutely dragged, but the last six months just flew by for me. It's crazy that I'm sitting in my bed, my two children beside me (the little is asleep; the big is still talking and trying to hang on until midnight), reflecting on another year gone.

Overall, this year has been more challenging than I expected it to be. I was hopeful that this year would be a bright spot in my life, but it honestly wasn't as bright as it could've been. My personal life was hard, which makes everything else hard. However, it was a good year, one where I saw personal growth and had a lot of great times.

Most people don't really know, but I took an interim assistant director position at work back in the spring and have been very, VERY busy in the office since then. I have enjoyed the challenge immensely, though, and have learned so much. My interim role has inspired me to go back to school and to find a way to finally start my master's degree in 2016 so I can work my way up through the higher education ranks. It took awhile to find a new balance, but I did find it and have enjoyed my new responsibilities.

The brightest spot of the year was my kids (not sure anyone is surprised by that). It's been a challenge with JJ because of his ADHD and developmental challenges, but we have found a balance with medication and a great IEP plan. We are fortunate to have a great support system, lots of patience, and people who believe in him (besides me, of course) - which has made all the difference in the world. JJ has grown by leaps and bounds this year, and 1st grade is going better than ever. I am so proud to be his mom and to see him overcome all of these obstacles; he is so smart and funny!

Mia has grown so much this year, too; it's insane how grown she is now! She started walking in February (and running soon after), talking phrases/short sentences during the summer, and she discovered this week that she can take her own clothes off (and choose not to put them back on). That girl has personality for days, too, lemme tell ya. She is my shining star, my diva, my mini me. I can't believe she'll be 2 next weekend.

I had all of these grand plans for 2015, but a lot of them didn't happen - and that's OK. I've spent the holiday break from work resetting my mind and preparing for the new year, and I can honestly say that I'm ready for it. I came up with 10 goals that I want to achieve in 2016, but these are really more like lifestyle changes I want to make and stick to as the years go on:

Bring it, 2016. I'm ready.
A big thing happening in the new year is that I'll be 30(!), and it's a huge milestone for me personally. I want to start my new age decade on the right foot, so this year will be about recentering, refocusing, and enjoying life. It's easy to get caught up in drama and feelings and the past, and I am determined to let a lot of that go so I can find true happiness again. I'm starting the 21 Day Fix on Monday to get myself back into shape, along with Couch to 5K; that's just one step in my journey to a happier, better me. 

I learned a lot about myself in 2015 and pushed some boundaries, but I want to do even more in 2016. I am genuinely excited for the new year and can't wait to see what it has in store! My word for the year: unstoppable.
Happy New Year from me and the rainbow!

No comments: