5.12.2010

What a great Mother's Day.

I just realized I didn't write about Mother's Day! Oops. :)

Mother's Day was awesome this year. Last year, JJ was barely five months old, so it was pretty quiet. This year, we did a little more and had fun. JJ woke me up at 8:30 with awesome orange roses and a sweet card (that his grandparents probably helped him get), then we all were up and played around for a bit. Dad left on a business trip that morning, so it was just me, my mom, my sister and JJ for most of the day. We ate breakfast (compliments of ABC), then exchanged presents.

I got my mom, my sister, two of my aunts and me a pair of earrings that I ordered from a breast cancer website. Both of my aunts and my mom had breast cancer scares when I was growing up, and I thought the earrings would be a subtle tribute to them and a way for us to stay connected. My aunts got their earrings on Thursday and loved them; my mom and sister loved theirs, too. I also got my mom her favorite Hawaiian candy and Hawaiian soda, but both of those didn't ship until very late last week. I wasn't too thrilled about that, but at least they're finally on their way.

My parents got me this awesome aquamarine ring that I've had my eye on for a few weeks now. I was so thrilled when I got it...but it's a little too small, so I need to see if I can get it resized so it'll fit on my left ring finger. Here's a shot of the ring from hsn.com (ps. i love it):


I got a great surprise, too...J got to call for the holiday. :) I was hoping he would, but there was no guarantee. But, that night, he called...we talked for a whopping five minutes, but I didn't care. I would've been fine with 30 seconds, as long as I got to hear his voice. It made me feel better knowing he was getting my letters and was doing what he needed to do; I'm so proud of him. I hope to hear from him again soon, but we'll see.

It really was an awesome Mother's Day...even though it was weird celebrating it. Even though JJ's nearly halfway to two, I still feel weird when the holiday comes around. I mean, I spent so many years celebrating for just my mom that throwing me into the mix just seems unnatural. It really doesn't hit until Mother's Day that I really am a mom, that I really do have someone else depending on me, someone who will eventually be calling me Mommy out loud. Mother's Day also makes me realize just how blessed I am to be a mom and how much I love it.

I hope all the mommies out there had an incredible Mother's Day. It's a day that's well-deserved for all of you.


1 comment:

Ms. Understood said...

Happy belated Mother's Day. Sounds like you had a great day.