5.15.2010

We just got a letter...

Well, we did a couple of days ago...but still. We got a letter from J. :)

It was longer than I thought it would be. When he called on Mother's Day, he mentioned that he's super busy, so I thought I'd get a "Hi, kiss JJ, love you" letter. I got a pretty long letter from him about how basic's going, how his day's going...he said he's the leader of his element, so he's been a pretty bright target for his drill instructors. I'm just glad he's hanging in there - and that I heard from him! I've been continuing to write him every day, and I send out two batches of letters twice a week. The longer he gets into basic, the more proud I am of him. I can't wait until his graduation...and, I'm almost ridiculously excited that I get my military benefits back on Monday when I head to base. :P

Nothing new to add to my list just yet. I'm waiting for my autographed copy of "Something Borrowed" by Emily Giffin to come in so that I can read that book, and I'll probably head to the Stillwater Public Library on Tuesday to check out the other two books she's written that I haven't read yet. I started reading "Confessions of a Shopaholic," but since I've seen the movie, I just can't get into the book. Sad.

JJ's half birthday's coming up, and I can't help but think about the fact that soon, my little boy will be TWO. I've found myself wondering where time's gone, how in the world my pregnancy and JJ's first year went by so fast...it just doesn't make sense. When I was younger, time dragged on forever. I mean, a year of my life back then felt like an eternity. Now, a year of my life is like the blink of an eye. For crying out loud, it's the middle of May. J's already almost three weeks into basic. It just doesn't make sense.

I have a new "hobby," of sorts, that I've gotten really good at: coupon clipping. The past year, I've wasted I don't know how much money just going into Wal-Mart, picking up whatever and dashing out. Recently, I realized that we've got to do a better job on saving money, so I started clipping coupons. I joined couponmom.com, coupons.com, and I followed a few people on Twitter who talk about discounts and stuff. I quit buying the Sunday paper awhile ago, but I buy The Oklahoman on Sunday just for the coupons. Well, it's been paying off. The first time I actually consciously used coupons at Wal-Mart, I saved $30 (that combined with rollbacks). Today, I had to do another round of big shopping, and I saved $25 (including rollbacks). I've only spent $215 on groceries the past month, and I usually spend $350-$400. It's amazing how much you can save when you shop smart. Granted, I spent more than an hour in Wal-Mart today, but it was totally worth it. Seeing my grocery bill go from $108 to $89 was so thrilling. :)

It's time for me to clean up our place - JJ and I are staying in Stillwater this weekend and have had quite the day together. I wish the weather had been better, because I really wanted to take JJ to the zoo with his aunt, but maybe we'll go next weekend instead. It's been raining and storming all week...it's like spring decided to hit all at once, then the temps are going to jump to summer mode. Just when I thought we'd get an actual spring season this year...wishful thinking!

No comments: