11.10.2010

Ah, the joys of PCSing.

So, H moved to Colorado last week. The lovely ladies over at the Military Nesties board have a link that answers a bunch of military-related FAQs, including a section on PCSing. It was super helpful, but the whole move thing went very quickly for H - he came home on the second week of October; the movers came less than two weeks later; and he moved a week after that. Most of that time, I wasn't around, so I couldn't really help him at all. I wish we'd done a better job of moving his stuff out there, getting it organized etc. - probably would've made moving day less stressful.

So he gets to CO, figures out it's better for him to live off base than on base [original intention was for him to live on], so I spent a good day or so looking at apartments online and giving him places to check out. Luckily, he found an apartment and was able to lease it the very same day, which was nice. He spent about a week in it without anything, but someone was generous enough to lend him some stuff so at least he had a place to sleep.

Then, the movers came today - and H didn't have a place for all the stuff. So, I spent another two hours looking for storage units. Ugh. This whole process has been a huge headache, and if H had been more organized, this would've gone off without a hitch. For next time:

1. Itemize everything BEFORE the move, and make sure we know what's coming and going.

2. Don't pack up everything. Even if we have to rent a freaking U-Haul, move some of it ourselves and leave the big stuff to the movers. This part bugged me the most - H pretty much sent everything on the truck, so he barely had clothes or shoes, he didn't have any blankets or sleeping bag or anything...ugh. Never again.

3. Don't change the move date at the last minute. Due to unforseen circumstances, the move date was changed. Never doing that again, either - so unfair to the movers, and they almost charged us because of it.

I know this was our first move, but it could've gone so much better than it did. Instead, I'm spending the day nursing a headache that's been building up for a solid week. I hope that now that H has all his stuff and will get cable/Internet soon, this move will officially be over. And I vow to be way more organized when JJ and I make the move [whenever that'll be].

And now, I'm going to eat some chocolate to help ease my nerves. Woosah...


1 comment:

susanna said...

Go eat chocolate, girl. You deserve it. I am here in CO! Loving it. Had a little bit of snow yesterday (just a dusting), supposed to get a little bit more tomorrow. Otherwise it's sun, sun, sun! Yay!