12.09.2010

WMW: 10 Reasons I Looooooove Christmas



Good heavens - is it already Wednesday?! Is it already the 9th of December?! Only 16 days 'til Christmas!

This year, I feel more connected to the holiday spirit. Ever since JJ was born in '08, I've been pretty distant, to be honest. I just haven't been feeling the holidays - my old job kept me too busy to really get into it, and raising JJ by myself really just kept me on my toes and away from the holidays. But this year, things are different. JJ's older, work isn't nearly as stressful, and I'm enjoying the Christmas cheer. I put up lights this year, have a [half-decorated] tree up, and I've actually listened to Christmas music and watched Christmas movies. It's nice to be reconnected with the holiday spirit [even if it is 62 degrees and sunny outside right now].

So, in the spirit of the holiday, I decided to do the WMW prompt that involves Christmas. Here's my list of 10 reasons why I adore the holiday:

1. I just love giving presents. Although Christmas shopping is stressful, I love spending money on other people. I think I actually got some good stuff for my family this year, and I'm so excited about it. Now, if only those gifts would arrive before I head home on the 23rd...

2. It's the only time of the year my mom really bakes. Granted, she hasn't baked anything this year [yet], but this is her time to shine. She makes the best almond cookies, sugar cookies, caramel popcorn balls...it's all so good...nom nom nom.

3. I love holiday movies! A Charlie Brown Christmas [a personal favorite of mine], Elf, The Holiday, It's a Wonderful Life, A Christmas Story...I really haven't found a holiday movie I'm not willing to watch at least once. They're the best.

4. I love Christmas music, too. I try not to go overboard with it, but I do love me some good Christmas tunes. My personal fave: The Carpenters' Christmas Portrait. It will ALWAYS be my favorite - it just puts you in the Christmas spirit. We used to listen to it while decorating the tree...good times.

5. The most special memories are created during the holidays. I got engaged on Thanksgiving 2007. JJ was born exactly three weeks before Christmas. It's the one time of the year we're all together for longer than just a weekend. I love that Christmas brings us all back together - and this year, it'll include J! I didn't think he'd get to come home this year because of his work schedule, but he got permission on Tuesday, and I bought his plane ticket yesterday. I'm so stoked.

6. The lights are just spectacular. There are two major light displays on my way home - one in Chickasha, and another in Lawton. Between that and all the pretty, decorated houses, I just love driving around and looking at them. So awesome.

7. I'm not gonna lie...I get some awesome gifts. As much as I love giving gifts, I also don't mind receiving them, too. Last year, I got a flat screen TV and Kevin Durant jersey. This year, I think I'm getting upgrades for my kitchen appliances [the only thing I really asked for]. I usually get spoiled at Christmas, and I'm looking forward to it. :)

8. I get to relax. For most of the year, I'm going, going, going. Christmas is the one time of the year I get off for more than a day or two [without using any vacation days], and I'm at home with my mom, so she spoils JJ while I catch up on sleep. I always feel super refreshed when I'm at home during that time - and, JJ gets time with Grandma. Bonus.

9. Holiday time = sports! Some of the biggest match-ups in sports happen during the holidays. This year, we're going to a Thunder game on Christmas Day. My beloved Pittsburgh Penguins [and Sidney Crosby, yum] are playing the Caps [and Ovechkin] on New Year's. Bowl games galore, NFL match-ups that'll make or break my fantasy season...it's all one big sports fest. My parents get annoyed because I'm connected to SportsCenter 24/7 during the holidays. Oops.

10. It's the most wonderful time of the year! I mean, come on. How can you NOT be happy during the Christmas season? It's rosy cheeks, cookies for Santa, movie nights in front of the fire and snowflakes [or wishes of snowflakes, if you're like me and live in a state that gets a White Christmas every bazillion years - and, we had one last year, so it'll be another bazillion years]. It is, hands down, my favorite time of the year. I wish it lasted longer, but I'd probably be broke if that was the case.

I know that life is busy and chaotic, but I hope you find some time to enjoy this time of year. I definitely am!


No comments: