3.23.2011

WMW: But I'm the better parent! [yes, i made it up]



*steps on soapbox and clears throat*

So for today's WMW, we had the option to make up a prompt or follow one of the two that was suggested. And, since I couldn't think of anything remotely clever to blog about either topic, I picked one that's been bugging me for a little bit: the elitist parents.

More of my friends are becoming parents [or thinking about becoming parents]. This has made some of them turn into the "let me show you how a REAL parent operates" people, and it annoys the every-living snot out of me. Just because you do things differently from me does NOT make you a better parent [and, for the record, i am NOT talking about anyone who might read this blog or those whose blog i read - all of you are amazing parents].

I don't get why parenting has to be a competition. Can anyone answer that one for me? Is it because you want your kid to get into Harvard so you can shove it in other people's noses? Or because you want to claim the title of "Best Parent Ever" [even though such a title doesn't exist]? Parenting should be about focusing on your child[ren] and creating the best environment for your family, not trying to out-duel someone on how many veggies your kid ate or how many states he/she can name at the age of 3.

Even before JJ was born, I always told myself that I wanted to be involved in his school life. I wanted to be homeroom mom, a part of the PTA, one of the moms that provides snacks after soccer games...and I still want to do that. But growing up, I remember seeing the BS that my own mom put up with, and a ball of dread fell into my stomach. And parents wonder where their kids get their "Mean Girls" attitudes from... But I will NOT be that parent. I won't let another mom shove me around, but I won't carry this elitist crown with me, either. For crying out loud, my husband's in the military - no telling how long we'll be at a duty station anyway.

So, in short, my final thoughts are this: there IS no such thing as the perfect parent. You can be a great parent, but striving to be a perfect parent raising a perfect kid just doesn't exist. And clearly, our kids watch our every move, because most of them pick up this elitist attitude from their parents [at least, the peeps i grew up with did]. So let's all act like we're adults and focus on raising our kids and providing them with a positive environment, not how many "My kid is the greatest, which means I'm the greatest!" stickers are on the back of your car.

*steps off soapbox*

No comments: