4.02.2011

Honoring the Master Mechanic.

I know it's been a few days since I last posted - the past week has been crazy. My paternal grandfather passed away 10 days ago, and we were in North Carolina this past week for his funeral.

Now, I wasn't really close to my grandfather. My dad was the only one of his siblings to not live on the East Coast, and it's not like we knew where we'd be from year to year due to the Army. So, I wasn't really close to him. The last time I saw him in person, I was 12 years old. I turned 25 this past Monday. So...yeah. It'd been awhile since I'd seen him.

Going back to NC after being away for so many years was bittersweet. I hate that funerals bring families together better than any other family event, but I'm so glad we went. It was amazing to see and reconnect with my family again, especially since so much time has lapsed since I was there last. Being at the funeral was hard - I absolutely cried throughout the service. And it was hard on my dad, but he was a strong rock for his brothers and sisters [even though he's not anywhere near the oldest].

I try not to have any regrets in life. I do, however, regret not seeing him one last time before he passed. Out of all the grandchildren, my sister and I have been away the longest and live the furthest away. I wish we'd had the time [or made the time] to go out there and see him. The impact he made on the community - he was one of the best mechanics in town, and that's not bias talking - was incredible to see during his funeral. To hear the stories of his life was great. To spend time with my extended family was the best present I could've asked for for my birthday.

I vowed while I was out there to not let so much time go by before I see my family again. I have a great-uncle with Parkinson's that may not be with us much longer. My grandparents are getting older, my aunts/uncles are getting older, and time is precious. If we don't make it back out this year, we'll be going back next year for a cousin's graduation and another cousin's wedding. I am, however, so glad we went out there for the funeral. So here's to you, the Master Mechanic...my grandfather. I wish I'd known you better, but we'll have eternity for that. I miss and love you.

No comments: