4.05.2011

101 in 1001 update: I made a pie!

OK. So I didn't make one of those pies that you slave over for hours [think: apple pie]. But I made one of my favorite pies, and it was good, dang it.

While searching for recipes yesterday, I stumbled upon The Pioneer Woman's website. Now, she's a staple here in Oklahoma - one, because she's from Oklahoma; and two, because she makes the most UHmazing food. I plan on buying her cookbooks like, soon. Anyway, I digress. I love her because she makes food easy - and her key lime pie is no exception. She made it on Pi Day, and I love me some key lime pie, so I HAD to make it.

So, while grocery shopping yesterday, I picked up the ingredients I needed and made it before I gave JJ his bath so that it could cool while he was taking a bath. After I mixed everything together, it didn't smell the best...so I was so scared I'd screwed it up and that it was going to be gross. But after it came out the oven, it didn't look all that bad, so I let it cool and stuck it in the fridge. It was supposed to chill for an hour...but I gave it 20 minutes.

Holy moly is it good. It's almost perfect, actually - I think it could've used more lime juice, but man. For my first attempt at a pie, it was quick, easy and DELICIOUS. I will admit that I didn't make the pie crust from scratch because I couldn't find empty pie pans at Wal-Mart...so I used a pre-made one. But next time. I'll make that from scratch. Not like it's hard to do so.

The before:

And the after:



No comments: