4.06.2011

WMW: I woke up in the middle of the night and...



OK. So waking up in the middle of the night is a common occurrence for me. I think it started back in college - I used to fall asleep on my homework with the TV and lights on, and I'd wake up at like, 3am to shut everything off. I went from college to mommyhood in a matter of months, so waking up in the middle of the night [for feedings this time] stuck with me.

Now that JJ is a growing 2-year-old [he'll be 2 1/2 this summer! gah!], he doesn't wake up in the middle of the night anymore [for the most part]. I, however, still do. I usually wake up in the middle of the night and clean...mainly because I tend to fall asleep with JJ when I put him down, so I get almost nothing done. I can't tell you how many nights I've woken up at 2am with the TV still on, a light still on [this wastes energy, i know...i'm working on it], and the entire apartment a wreck. So, I usually stay up for 1-1.5 hours, cleaning and catching up on things I missed while I was asleep [like facebook statuses, sports and news]. This does not bode well in the morning - which is why I've started drinking coffee more often - but I just can't seem to break that habit.

I also wake up in the middle of the night to check on JJ. We've had breathing issues since he was a baby, and even though they're better, I'm still terrified I'll wake up in the middle of the night and he's struggling to breathe/not breathing...so I tend to wake up 4-5 times during the night to make sure he's OK. I think I'm going to be that way for quite some time, but it's OK. It gives me peace of mind to know that he's breathing and fine, so I don't mind waking up for that. The whole cleaning business though...I hate waking up for that. Once I wake up and know the apartment's a wreck, I can't go back to bed until I've cleaned up. Sigh.

I'm hoping that eventually, this whole waking up in the middle of the night stuff won't happen anymore - or happen as often. But, considering I'm still nervous about JJ's breathing at night and we plan on trying for another baby soon, I don't think that'll happen. Guess I'd better keep the coffee flowing.

No comments: