5.02.2011

What a night for America.

I haven't blogged in a few days because...well, I've had nothing really exciting to say. But now, today, I do.

Tonight, President Obama announced that Osama bin Laden was killed in Pakistan. The rumblings of the news started about an hour or so before he made the official announcement, but I didn't really believe it until he said it. I think I'm still trying to process it.

I think I'll always remember this day. Ya know, when people ask "Do you remember where you were when...?" - this day will go along with that. I'll add it to the OKC bombing, 9/11, the day the war started, the day I lost a family member overseas, and other personal moments that have shaped my life. When I found out he was dead, it hit Facebook first. Then, Twitter. I called my mom to see if she'd heard, then J to see if he'd heard. I kept getting in and out of bed with JJ [I don't have a TV in my room, and I was trying to put him to bed when I heard the news], and I watched the official announcement while I rocked him to sleep. What a moment.

I never thought the day would come when an announcement like that would come. No, I didn't lose anyone in 9/11...but I lost a cousin in the war. Had family and friends fight in the war. My dad's over there as a civilian helping the war effort right now. This news is huge for everyone in America, everyone fighting terrorism, everyone still fighting over there.

Some people have been ridiculously ignorant about this whole situation - trying to spin it into a political thing. This isn't about politics...tonight, this is a victory for so many people, here and abroad. This announcement has been years in the making. Thousands of people lost their lives because of him; thousands more put their lives on the line to find and stop his reign of terror. This is for them. For us. For those who have been fighting him.

Does this mean it's over? Of course not. Ten years of searching and one death doesn't stop the violence. It doesn't mean our troops are coming home, that everything is OK, that the fighting is done. But I think, for tonight, we can breathe a small sigh of relief before the fight resumes again. Thank you to everyone who was involved in bringing him down...I will forever be grateful for your work and sacrifice.

No comments: