11.10.2011

The sports side of me comes out.

Pretty sure I've mentioned this before, but...I love sports. I wasn't always this way, but I kinda fell onto the sports bandwagon when I started college. Well, senior year of high school - my high school's football team was awesome that year [state runners-up], and that got me interested in learning more about it. I grew up on basketball but now have a passion for several different sports.

Anyway. This calendar year has been a freaking incredible sports year for me:

1. Dallas Mavericks won the NBA championship. I don't care what anyone says about me having to pick one team over another or blah blah blah - I've been a Mavs fan since 2000, and I've stuck by their side [even after the meltdown of '06 that I'd rather not discuss]. When they won it all in June, I screamed like a schoolgirl. It's about.damn.time.

2. The Thunder played an incredible year of basketball. It's been so fun to watch such a young team rise so quickly. I hate that the NBA lockout is going on right now, because the Thunder were ON IT last season. I just hope that momentum continues after basketball resumes [whenever that will be].

3. This fall has been fantastic for OSU sports. Our women's soccer program finished the year with only one loss [in the Big 12 tournament; still got a 2 seed in the NCAA tournament though, their highest seed ever], our cross country team is kicking butt [again], and football...oh heavens football. No. 2 in the BCS? Are you freaking kidding me?

4. My high school's football team is killin' the game again. I hope to see them play this weekend - haven't been to a game in ages, but gotta rep the Mac [even after nearly eight years have passed since the last football season of my high school career].

I wish I could add the Boston Red Sox to that list, but uh...they suffered a monumental collapse back in September and are currently revamping their club. Maybe next year fellas. And, once Sid the Kid hits the ice again [I hope he does this season], I can hopefully add the Pens to the incredible sports year list, too.

As a sports fan, I have my own opinions about the things going on in the sports world. Since I just feel like talking about sports tonight [and promise to catch up on life soon, since it's been nearly two months since my last blog post], I'm going to throw some opinions out there and then peace out.

1. This whole Penn State thing is a hot freaking mess. I'm not sure if the university should've been so quick to fire Joe Paterno after he seemingly did what he was supposed to [report the incident to higher authorities]. But there's so much still coming out about the case that it's hard to pick a side, I guess. Bottom line is, there are young men out there who were sexually violated by a man who used to work for that program. That fact alone disgusts me, and the fact that he got away with it for so long is appalling. If that EVER happened to my son, hell would be raised on SO many different levels - I don't care who the hell you are. NO ONE is untouchable if you touch my son inappropriately.

2. This NBA lockout needs to end. Pronto. I can't believe the players got 57 percent of the revenue under the last CBA - and I can't believe the owners thought it'd be a good idea to give them 10 percent less than that as a threat. The whole situation is a confusing, legal mess, but bottom line is this: the fans want basketball. Don't pull an NHL, cancel an entire season and then spend years coming back. Get something hammered out so I can spend New Year's Eve in the Chesapeake Arena, kay?

3. The Red Sox collapse is depressing - but needed to happen. A shake-up is good every now and then, and I think the team needed a shake-up. It'll be interesting to see how they regroup next season.

4. I'm so glad the NFL came together and made an agreement. I missed football in the offseason, and be able to watch games on Sundays make my life complete. Oh, not to mention fantasy football. Now I just need to find a team to fully support instead of just hopping around the league...and no. Dallas Cowboys are NOT an option.

5. Dear OSU Cowboys: you have made this season one I will NEVER forget. It's been an incredible ride, and there's three games to go. No matter the outcome, it's been freaking awesome. I think about that no. 2 BCS ranking and get chills. I can't put into words how proud I am of my alma mater right now. Loves it.

I hope that eventually I can blog about the NBA coming back. Until that day comes, sports may take a back burner for a little bit. But, I just had to get this out in the blogger world. For those who aren't sports lovers like me but read it anyway, you rock. :)

No comments: