11.10.2011

What I'm thankful for...the not-so-traditional version.

So, we all know it's November. We all know that Thanksgiving is right around the corner. That means that people are doing their "What I'm thankful for" lists - and the standards are on it: good health, roof over their heads etc. One of my friends on FB came up with an alternate list of things she's thankful for that aren't the "traditional" ones - and I love it. So now, I'm going to try and find things I'm thankful for that don't normally fall on that list. Today's the 10th, so 10 shall be forthcoming:

1. [Sometimes drunken] nights with friends post-college graduation. Now that my friends are all older and have full-time jobs, we can't see each other as often. But when we do, we make it count. We hang out before and get caught up, hit the club and dance after a couple of rounds of shots. I think that our nights out have been more epic since college, which I thought would never happen. I thought that once I graduated from college, my fun nights out were done. Nice to know that's not the case.

2. Sleeping in/taking naps. Ever since I became a mom, sleep has been a precious commodity in my house. I've spent more days with my son than without - and while I adore my son more than anyone in my life, mama needs her sleep. So when he spends weekends with Grandma [my mom], I can almost guarantee I'm not going to do anything but sleep. It's awesome.

3. Las Vegas. That's my new favorite vacation spot - someplace I never could've gone to before I turned 21, that's for sure. I've been three times, and each time has been more and more fun. I plan on going again next year, and I'm sure it'll be one to remember.

4. Oklahoma State University, my alma mater. This university has been my home for almost a decade now, and I wouldn't have it any other way. I had a great time here, got a wonderful education, and the spirit here is like no other. From the moment I stepped on campus, I knew I belonged - almost eight years later, it still feels that way. It'll never, ever get old.

5. My engagement ring. J knew two things when we started talking about getting married: the ring had to be silver, and the diamond had to be square. It didn't matter the size, as long as it those two criteria. I will never forget my initial [mental] reaction when I quit blubbering and got a good look at the ring in the box: Holy freaking cow. This is incredible. Then, I proceeded to cry again, because it was more than just a pretty ring - it was a symbol of our future together [feel free to gag here if you wish]. We got engaged four years ago on Thanksgiving - and I still love it, and I still love him.

6. Heels. So what if I'm nearly 5'10"? I don't care. Heels are fun, heels are cute, and I wear them whenever I can. It's a good thing I have a big foot and crappy knees, because I'd probably wear them more if both weren't the case.

7. Wineries. I've found some fantastic wines through local wineries, and they've opened my palate to diverse tastes. I love it.

8. Gilmore Girls. God I miss that show. Once a year, I usually watch all the seasons in succession - I'm on season three right now. I could probably get through the next three before Christmas and finish the last of them during Christmas break.

9. Coffee. It's probably a good thing I didn't have a love of it when I was in college, because college would've been more full of sugar and late nights than they already were.

10. Coupons. Ever since I really started sticking with couponing and saving, it's been awesome. To pay little for things I actually need is like one big game - I hope J is prepared for it when I move.

I'll continue to update this list as we go through November. What's on your thankful list?

No comments: