3.05.2012

The Big Chop.

The last time I cut my hair was like, 2009. JJ was still a baby baby when I chopped my hair last, and I've let it grow since that chop. Over the last few months though, I've gotten really tired of how long it's gotten and how hard it's been to manage it. So, right after the new year, I decided that I wanted to go ahead and cut it. It's not long enough to donate [and my ends are awful anyway, so donating would be pointless], but I still wanted it to be chopped. A few days ago, I called the salon where my sister gets her hair cut and made an appointment for yesterday at noon.

In the days leading up to the cut, I was seriously nervous. I mean, chopping hair isn't an easy thing to do - it's not like you can glue it back on [that's what my hairstylist told me right before the chop]. But once I got in the car and headed to OKC, I knew there was no going back. Well, and I didn't want to go back after battling with my hair for the upteenth time after my morning shower.

Anyway, this awesome woman named Erica cut my hair. I could see the slight fear in her eyes [seriously] when I pulled my hair out of my hair tie and told her I wanted to chop it. I thought she was going to just wash and cut it [which is what has happened the last few times I've cut my hair], but no - she spent 1.5 hours straightening it, which was freaking insane in my book. I didn't mind sitting there that long, because we had some great conversation...but the fact that she stood for 1.5 hours and dealt with my hair was insane. THEN, she still had to cut it and re-straighten it, THEN she had to cut layers in it.

But by the time she was done, I was in hair heaven.

Before [with an instagram filter applied]:


After [again, with an instagram filter applied]:


I haven't had my hair this short in ages - but I love love LOVE it. It's still straight, and I wore it that way today, but I'll wash it out in the morning and see how it looks curly. Right now though, I'm loving it straight. I think I'm going to maintain this look for the next few months, see how it goes...I'm determined to keep my hair happy and healthy this time around. I totes think I look a lot more like my mom now [she just cut her hair super short, too], but my sister doesn't think so. I also don't think she was a big fan of the hair cut. :P

It's been awhile since I've made a change this big, but I'm glad I did it. I feel like a whole new person - refreshed, energized, younger [even though being almost 26 isn't exactly old] and just better. I'll be sure to take a picture and post it once I wash my hair and get it curled.

And there ya go - The Big Chop. I'm so glad it's over, and I'm so glad I did it.

No comments: