4.28.2012

A month into 26...

Have I seriously been 26 for a month already? Good gracious time is flying. I feel like a lot's happened in the past month, but I'm probably just making that up to make my life seem exciting.

To be quite honest, things have been pretty boring lately, which is just the way I like it. Besides the whole tornado thing and having to work the past two weekends, things have been pretty quiet during this first month of my new age. I tend to forget that I'm 26 - but it comes back to stare me in the face when I'm filling out surveys or paperwork that ask for my birthday.

When I think back on how my life has gone so far, I'm surprised to find myself where I'm at right now. At this point in my life, I thought I would be freshly married [as in, maybe married a year], have a Master's Degree under my belt and have some sort of job in public relations or related. Instead, I'm a mommy of one with another on the way [by the way, i am dyyyyyying to share the sex of the new baby, but i'm still keeping my mouth shut until the anatomy scan confirms everything], a military wife who just celebrated her third year of marriage, and I work in higher education. Go figure, eh?

I'm not saying I'm disappointed in how my life has gone - I love where I'm at, love my husband and son and love my job. It's just so different from what I had envisioned for myself when I started college that I'm a little surprised what I had envisioned and what really happened are so different. I'm still going to get my Master's [maybe a couple of them, actually], but that's on the back burner until Jelly Bean is older. I want to stay in higher ed and will never, ever use my degree to do any sort of PR work - the pay at the bottom of the scale is crap, I have no experience [and no desire to gain experience], and my family is more important that my job. With PR, you're always on call, especially as you work higher up. I once had aspirations of owning a PR firm, until I realized how much work would have to go into it and the family sacrifices I'd have to make. With my husband now in the military and making enough sacrifices for our family, I know I made the right choice.

I don't know. It's just funny how life turns out the exact opposite way of what you had envisioned, and I know that it doesn't always work out for the better. But in my case, it definitely worked out for the better. Sure, there are challenges that I face [right now, my main challenge is patience with my lovely 3-year-old] that have made life more interesting - but as I've probably mentioned before, I am a firm believer in everything happening for a reason. Eventually, it will make sense why something happened, even if it takes you years to realize it - but there's a purpose for everything that happens in life. I'm just living life as best I can with as little regret as possible. So far, I think I'm doing a good job of that.

OK. Enough with the self-reflection stuff. My 18-week poll needs to be done. :)

18 weeks, 2 days
Total weight gain: I'll know on Monday! I pray it's not a ton...ugh.
Maternity clothes? Nice and comfy. My new pair of maternity jeans and a new top [i'm wearing it in the picture above] came in last week, which should be the last of the maternity shopping. For now.
Sleep: Considering I'm writing this at 3am...yeah. Sleep isn't my friend right now. I was doing awesome for a week or so, but ever since the tornado episode a couple of weekends back, I've slept like hell.
Best moment this week: Stronger kicks. This kid is moving!
Food cravings: Still none. It's more of a "What sounds good right now?" type of thing with me. I don't want any one food constantly like I did with JJ.
Gender: I hope I can officially say in a couple of weeks. GAH.
Belly Button in or out? In. My poor belly button looks like a hole in the middle of my stomach right now.
What I miss: Decent sleep. And sushi. I think I miss something every week that's a big no-no during pregnancy.
What I am looking forward to: Taking a long weekend. And my first trip to Connecticut to visit my college roommate is coming up!
Weekly Wisdom: Everything happens for a reason. Not sure if I've said this before in the weekly wisdom - I probably have - but I firmly believe this.
Milestones: I feel like I'm rounding out more now. My maternity clothes are fitting better and aren't as big as they used to be. But with JJ, I didn't pick up a bulk of the weight until my third trimester - I really hope that doesn't happen this time around. Yikes.
Differences between #1 & #2: My dear enemy nausea is still around. It sucks. Nausea meds, water, snacking more [healthy snacking, too], healthier eating...not really helping. Just have to deal with it until it goes away, I guess. Boo.

No comments: