6.05.2012

New York [and Connecticut] state of mind.

Good gracious - has it been a month since I blogged? How has the last month or so gone by so quickly? Yeesh.

Anyway. I dedicate this post to my fantastic trip to visit my college roommate in Connecticut. I promised I'd come visit when I was in her wedding last year [best wedding ever], and I had time to do it this summer. My trip was bumped from July to Memorial Day weekend once I found out I was pregnant again, which worked out better - both of us being off work meant uninterrupted hang-out time. Just like our college days, sorta. :)

I will admit, flying while 6 months pregnant wasn't my smartest idea. I had awful motion sickness from OKC to DFW [thank goodness a salad and water did me some good before my LGA flight], and we were delayed nearly two hours because of rain at LGA. So, I was stuck in the airport trying to keep my legs moving because those also got restless while I was flying. A and her husband still came and got me from the airport though, which I am still so grateful for - they're awesome.

Driving from LGA to their place in Connecticut was...eye-opening, to say the least. NYC is freaking MASSIVE, first of all. Even people who have never been to Oklahoma know that this state is pretty flat - and unless you live in a major city [or a college town], your town probably doesn't have a multi-story building. OKC and Tulsa have some pretty tall buildings [Devon Tower comes to mind], but the entire town isn't full of tall buildings. NYC, however, is - and it's mindblowing to see it in person. The buildings, the landmarks, the sporting venues [our plane flew by CitiField on the way in and way out of LGA]...seeing it in person is just incredible. I felt like such a tourist.

I got in late Friday night, so we pretty much knocked out once we got back to their place. On Saturday, A and I caught a train from CT to Grand Central Station so we could explore NYC - but let me pause again for a second. I can't believe people out there catch trains and cabs everywhere. Public transportation isn't really something we use around here that often. I mean, we have city buses and an Amtrak station, but nothing like what they have out there. It's so foreign to me! Anyway, back to the story...

Saturday, we spent all day walking around NYC. Yes, even my 6 months pregnant self was able to keep up and walk around [and let's face it, I needed the exercise], and it was so much fun. The city is freaking spectacular. We hit Bryant Park, Central Park, Times Square, had lunch with a Nestie, and we saw a Broadway play [Memphis, which had a guy from the original cast of "Rent" as their lead - flipped out when A and I figured that out]. We were literally in NYC from 10am to 11pm, and it was the best day ever.
first view of grand central station. Amazing.
tiny view of central park. this place was spectacular.
times square - and the ball. not sure why i wasn't aware the ball stays up all year...
lone shot i could get from seeing Memphis -- intermission. this play was faaaantastic though.
Sunday was spent in CT shopping, hanging out and eating the best Thai food I've ever, ever had. We headed back to NYC early Monday morning so I could catch my early afternoon flight, and we made a stop at the Rockefeller Center before I caught a cab to LGA. It was awesome.

Looking over the entire city was such a surreal feeling. Again, I can't believe how massive the buildings are up there, how much stuff there is...the vibe up there is just so different from Oklahoma that it was a culture shock. I do, however, plan on going back as soon as possible to see more sights and spend more time up there. NYC was super cool, where A lives was super cool...the trip was just super cool. :P

Special, special thanks to A and her husband for allowing me to crash at their place and showing me around the area. It was so great to spend extended time with her [and cheer on the thunder together since she and her husband are thunder fans!] and just get away for a few days. I owe you guys one!!

No comments: