4.27.2010

A new chapter.

I should be in bed...and I'm finally getting tired...but my mind's still kinda moving right now, so it's impossible to fully settle down.

J left for basic today...well, he reported. He flies out of OKC tomorrow to start eight weeks of training [hopefully it's only eight]. This past weekend was one of the hardest weekends every - my big girl panties definitely disappeared. I lost track of how many times I cried this weekend - had a huge breakdown Sunday night before we went to bed. I keep telling myself that he's not getting deployed, that he's only going to basic and tech school...but it's still hard. The hardest part will be spending eight weekends away from him and not being able to call/text him. I'm hoping his unit does well during basic so that I get to hear from him often. I already have a journal that I'm using to write him, and I'm getting ready to write him his first letter. I'll be anxiously waiting by the phone the next few days, waiting to hear his voice at basic. Mentally, I'm already counting the weeks until this is over.

I spent the day with JJ and hung out around the house. I still feel weird, knowing that J's gone and our Air Force life is close to beginning...I feel like my life has changed. It's hard to describe. I felt this type of shift when I got engaged, when I found out I was pregnant, when I moved into my first place, when I got married...and now, with this. I'm just hoping and praying that J does well at basic and becomes a strong, proud Airman. I'm already proud of him for this major step - I just miss him. A lot.

I did finish reading my second book over the weekend - Moloka'i by Alan Brennert.



It got a little long, but it was an AMAZING book. It's the tale of Rachel, a little girl stricken with leprosy and sent from O'ahu to Moloka'i to live out what many thought would be her last days. Instead, she lives a long, full, prosperous life, full of love, loss, joy and sorrow. It got a little long for me at times, but the story was just incredible. Being Hawaiian, this struck a nerve with me, because I was reading a part of my mom's homeland's history, too. I was trying to imagine what Moloka'i, O'ahu, Maui would've looked like back then....still many years from statehood but already being invaded by the Americans...amazing how time changes things. I can't wait to read "Honolulu"...maybe I'll head to OSU's library and check it out or get a library card at the public library. I feel like the reading bug has finally bit me again...it's been laying dormant for awhile, but this year, I've already read a book a month. That's A LOT for me, considering for the past six years, I haven't read more than seven books for pleasure [if that].

This past weekend, we had the chance to attend Game Four of the Thunder/Lakers playoff series.

I'm still so stoked about that game. We had the opportunity to purchase amazing tickets, and we did - in the lower level, behind the basket. The most fun thing was that J was actually impressed and excited about the game. I think he was more hype than me at times. :) The Thunder blew out the Lakers, and the series got pushed to six. Lucky for us, we also have tickets to that game - not nearly as close as we were on Saturday, but hey. Considering the game sold out in 10 minutes and NO ONE could get tix, I'm insanely lucky to have four for the game. I'm so excited about it! Thunder Up!

I would write more, but my eyes are feeling droopy, and I HAVE to write that letter to J before I go to bed - my goal is to write him a letter every day that he's gone. My mind keeps flipping to him, but I have plenty to keep me busy - namely JJ, and I think I'll start GRE preps and looking into grad programs. Besides the baby fever, the school bug's bitten me...I'd like to start soon. I also scored at Hobby Lobby - their scrapbooks and paper were half off - so I got JJ's scrapbook and will start on that soon. I just need to wade through all the pics of him that I have...

*To my incredible husband: I am so proud ot be your wife and am grateful for the sacrifice you're making for us, our country and yourself. I'm anxious, excited, nauseous, thrilled, scared...all these emotions wrapped into one. Good luck at basic, and I can't wait to see you in June. I love you. - Wifey*


No comments: