5.21.2010

Much better now - and update to list!

So, after venting in my last entry, I felt better...but sounded like a whiny baby. Now, everything's actually better. :)

But first, to the crazy weather. We had a tornado come through town on Wednesday! I wouldn't put an exclamation point after it if there had been any major damage, but luckily, the tornado didn't actually drop in town. Some people I know got some sweet video and pics of it, but I was too busy panicking in the basement of Wentz to really care about what was going on outside at the time. The funny thing is, I had no idea we had a tornado coming until I got home. I'd been busy at work that afternoon, so I hadn't had a chance to check the weather before I left. I heard people talking about tornadoes when I picked up JJ from daycare, but I thought they were talking about another town. I went back to my apartment and saw people leaving...it's usually never that empty after work. Went inside, checked the weather, saw we had a tornado coming towards us and peaced out.

We were able to make it to McDonald's to get JJ dinner and get to Wentz in plenty of time - the sirens didn't even start sounding until 15 minutes after my friend and I got settled in downstairs. We hung out there for a good two hours before we finally headed home. Luckily, there was no major damage (just some roof damage, downed trees and lost power), and nothing else hit that night. I hadn't realized until today just how bad the situation could've gotten, so I'm glad I'm one of those people who takes the weather seriously and bolts when even the slightest hint of something is headed our way. And that was my first real tornado...I've lived here nearly 16 years and had always been through false alarms, but never one that touched down near me. Whoa!

I got my military ID today. I had an ID until I was 22, but I never really used it. Now that I realize the value of Commissary shopping, BX shopping, free gyms and military discounts, I'm more than excited to have it back. Besides, I couldn't really get on base by myself anymore since I had a sticker but no ID. I'm so excited about it, I might actually get up and go to the Commissary tomorrow morning. Maaaaaaybe. :) Now comes the task of getting enrolled in all of our insurances. I wish I could drop mine with OSU; two months' premium for my medical insurance would pay for an entire YEAR of insurance through the Air Force. Isn't that insane?! Note: when doing anything, make sure you know sponsor's SSN, have copy of SS card/marriage license/two forms of ID ready, and have all paperwork in order! 

I get to add another one to my list...my sister and I went to the movies last night for a sister date night (plus our friend Jason). We saw Shrek Forever After in 3D, and it was AWESOME! I got a little teary-eyed at the end because this is the final movie in the series, and they showed clips from the last three movies in the final credits. It was kinda sad...but the movie itself was awesome. It was my first midnight showing (i'm such a kid, i know...i choose my first midnight showing to be a shrek movie), and there were some other people in the theatre...but for the most part, it was empty. We decided to go see it on a whim, and I'm glad - I do NOT feel like dealing with little kids and crowds to see that movie tonight. I'm hoping I get to add another movie to my list next weekend when I go see SATC 2. :)

Things are going better and settling down, thank goodness. This week's been a roller coaster, but we made it through in one piece. I'm looking forward to the weekend so that I can kick back, eat some yummy homemade food, recipe plan and catch up on sleep. AND, next weekend's Memorial Day weekend, so we get an extra day! Yay!

OH! One more thing. I forgot to check off no. 13 in my last entry, which was to get JJ's birth certificate. So glad we have that now!

Enjoy your weekend!

No comments: