12.03.2010

A series of unfortunate events.

Today has literally been a Monday times four for me.  I thought Fridays weren't supposed to be like this?!

For one thing, I woke up late this morning.  I've been doing that all week - falling asleep [with the TV and lamps on in the living room...I need to stop doing that], waking up at 4am, going back to sleep and waking up past my alarm.  Ugh.  To top it off, JJ woke up when I woke up [which was 30 minutes before his wake-up time], so I had to do everything with my little man following in my footsteps [poor guy].

I got us both ready, got the car loaded up, started it, and...the car started revving up on his own.  I thought the gas pedal was stuck, but nope - it wasn't. And, my check engine light was on.  So, I called the local Ford dealer [who told me to tow it in and not drive it, because if a valve or something was stuck, there was a good possibility the car wouldn't stop], called USAA to see if they'd have my car towed [they did - so glad we're paying for that in our insurance], and waited almost 1.5 hours for the tow truck to arrive.  Sigh.

Got the car off, then walked to the bus stop to drop JJ off at daycare.  This AMAZING woman drove by, saw me with three bags and a toddler, and offered to drive me to his daycare.  I wish I could find her and give her a big plate of cookies and a hug.  Dropped JJ off, did a speed walk/run to the bus waiting up the way, then rode the bus to work.  Got to work at 10:20 this morning - awesome.

THEN, I realized at 2:30 that I only had two of the bags I left with this morning...and panicked.  I called the bus station - no bag.  Called the daycare - they put me on hold for awhile, so I thought they were digging around for it.  Called back, and hallelujah!  I left it in his room!  That bag had his shoes, toys and socks in it...so if I'd lost it, I would've had a breakdown.

It's now almost 4pm, and no phone call from the dealer.  I called at lunch today to check on it, and they didn't know what was wrong and suggested I rent a car for the weekend.  Called at 2 to see what time they close so I can get JJ's car seat, and still no word.  I'm so, so nervous.  I don't want to fork over a ton of money to fix the transmission [if that's the problem] - it was running fine yesterday!  And, I'd just stay in town this weekend and wait it out, but - alas.  My precious little guy turns 2 tomorrow, and there's no way we're not celebrating with family.  So now, I get to figure out how to get my car back whenever it's done - risking the fact that it might not be done by Monday.

I'm trying to take it all in stride, but this is just the icing on the cake of a very, very long year.  I don't have $2500 to drop on a new transmission, if it comes to that.  If they can't figure out what's wrong with it, then what am I supposed to do?  Sigh.  I'm going to try and put it aside for the weekend and make JJ's birthday weekend the best ever.  But...if you could send good car juju my way, that would be great.

No comments: