12.01.2010

WMW: How do you do it?


So, since there wasn't really a prompt for WMW, I had to think of something to write about...wasn't sure if I'd come up with something, but it came to me while I was polishing off a bag of gummy bears [my second today...blasted Walgreens had them on sale]. Sugar does wonders for a fried brain.

Ever since I became a [pretty much single] mom, people ask me how I do it. "How do you raise JJ by yourself?" "How do you function off of four hours of sleep every day?!" "How do you do it?"

The answer is quite simple: I do it because I love it. I have a child who's depending on me to provide for him and be the best mother I possibly can be for him. I'm by no means perfect - I'm pretty far from it - but I try my best to provide the best for my little boy. And, when you have someone else depending on you for his well-being...you just do it.

How do I raise JJ by myself? I'm not completely alone. I have A LOT of help - my mom and sister are amazing and have been there for me whenever I need them. My sister's driven the hour north to watch JJ when I've been sick or had to work late or on a weekend. My mom's kept JJ for random weekends so I can catch my breath [and catch up on sleep]. During the week, it's just the two of us because I hate imposing on people and really don't need to do anything after work that doesn't involve him. I take him grocery shopping, can work out at home after he goes to sleep...he's pretty much attached to my hip after I pick him up, and I like it that way. But, I'm forever grateful for great family nearby who are willing to watch JJ when I need it.

It's not that hard raising a toddler. You keep an eye on him, keep as organized as possible, never leave for grocery shopping without a list, clean when he sleeps and enjoy the time you have with him. Yeah, it gets a little overwhelming to be alone when I'm trying to make dinner and he's trying to climb into the dryer, or I'm putting up dishes and he's digging in the fridge for yogurt. But I love the time we have alone, so I embrace it. We play, we color, we crawl around and run circles in the living room - it's the best time of my day. Always.

How do I live off of so little sleep? Um, hello. I've only been out of college 2.5 years - and you don't want to know the number of all-nighters I pulled. It's an insane number, trust me. Going from college to motherhood was a breeze in the sleep department because I was used to staying up late, catching cat naps and waking up early. And, I catch up on weekends when my mom gets up with JJ - I love her for doing that.

Do I miss being able to go hang out with friends or go to night meetings or sleep for 12 hours at a time? Sometimes, yeah - but JJ is completely worth it. I've never been a party animal, don't need a crowd to be entertained, and I like quiet/alone time...so I don't feel like I'm missing much. I'd much rather be at home with him anyway.

Now that I've gotten this out, I won't dwell on it as much. I think the more people ask me about it, the more I try to justify that it's a hard job. But in reality...it's not, because I enjoy it.

Now, will I be super excited when J and I are under the same roof and can raise JJ together? Absolutely. I'm counting the days. Until then...it's just me and JJ, and I'll enjoy every moment of it.

1 comment:

Julia Ladewski said...

i dont know your histoy of being a sorta single mom, but being a mom is tough.. and then doing it by yourself is even harder. i couldn't imagine. but good for you for truckin' along!!! kids are so worth it!!!

(when do you and J get to be under the same roof again?)