2.09.2011

WMW: I'm really good at...



As I sit in my apartment through yet another snow day [three last week, one today and possibly one tomorrow if the snow doesn't stop anytime soon], I've had a chance to think about this week's prompt. What am I really good at...

It's hard for me to focus on what I'm good at, because I tend to dwell on what I'm bad at - but, I don't want to be negative today, so I'm going to focus on the good. Hm, where to start...

OK. One, I'm a good mom - and I'm not afraid to admit it, because I know I am. Raising JJ by myself has been difficult at times, but for the most part, it's a BLAST. He's with my parents right now while my dad's back from Afghanistan, and I've enjoyed my quiet time - but I miss my son. I miss our schedule, our play time, everything. It's been a life-changing experience, being a mom, and it's made me more patient, more loving and more caring. I never thought I'd get all that out of being a mom, but I have. I've never worked harder but have never enjoyed working so hard. I do everything I can for my son; he always comes first. Before he was born, I can't say that the important people in my life came first all the time.

Two, once I get going on something, I see it through. Sometimes, it takes me a bit to get going on a project...but once I do, watch out. I take off and can make it look like a million bucks. I'm more motivated than I look sometimes.

Three, I'm great at diffusing uncomfortable situations. I almost always try to look at things from both sides of the spectrum and try to bring peace. Of course, there are some topics that really fire me up [I'll blog about one of them later], but for the most part, I try to rationally look at a situation from two sides and figure out where the sides are coming from. I hate it when people get slammed for their opinion - it's called an opinion for a reason - so I try to reason it out.

Four, I can put together awesome parties. I haven't really thrown one in awhile, but I love throwing parties. I love coming up with themes, playing hostess...it's so fun for me. I wish I could throw more parties more often.

Five, I'm an awesome driver. Seriously. I'm the one that will drive four hours without batting an eye, who is a safe driver through and through, and tries not to speed too much [typically do 5 over, but much more than that makes me uncomfortable]. When we go places without my dad, I'm automatically the driver because I don't mind it at all. Maybe the nearly seven years I've spent going back and forth to my hometown [300 miles round trip...don't even wanna know how many miles I've put on my car in 4.5 years] has made me that way.

That's all I got for now - my mind keeps going to the pretty snow outside, so I think I'm going to go stare at it for awhile. I'd go out in it, but the temperature is currently 10 degrees with a wind chill of -8. I have NO intention of going out in it today. Stay warm loves!

3 comments:

Unpolished Parenting said...

There's something encouraging about creating a list of good traits about ourselves. As moms we are constantly critiquing our decisions and comparing what we've done to others; it's easy to get down on ourselves. But you sound like a pretty awesome person :) Stopping by from WMW!

Mamma Kerr said...

Hi! I'm a new follower from WMW! :)

I enjoyed reading of your awesomeness! :) It's certainly very therapeutic to recognise our own strengths!

Have an awesome week (snow or no snow!)...

Annette
www.mammakerr.com

Julia Ladewski said...

you are a good mom. being a single parent it tough. and yay for admitting you're a good driver... i'm not. i wish i was. hubby hates when i drive... :(