6.28.2011

Finished not one, but TWO books in the past week. Whoa.

I think that's some sort of record for me since my AP English days: I finished two books this week. I was halfway through one and like, 20 pages into the other...so I didn't exactly read two books cover to cover, but whatever. It's the small victories, right?

I finally finished Mennonite in a Little Black Dress. I'd put it aside a few weeks ago because it was starting to get slow for me, but I picked it back up and finished it late last week. It was a pretty good read, but it lost me as it got to the end. The author was witty and open about her twists and turns through her religion, something I could relate to. I hated what she went through with her husband but was amazed at how she could find the humor in her life as a whole. 


Now, Water for Elephants...that's a whole different story. It was a little slow at first, so I put it down. But I picked it back up yesterday during a slow afternoon at work and got lost in it. I finished it last night - reading nearly 400 pages in one day. It was an easy read once I figured out the vernacular, and I totally didn't want to put it down. The end was a little mushy for me, but the book as a whole was fantastic. I found myself wanting to go to the circus, to see Rosie perform, to see Jacob beat the crap out of August...the details really made me feel like I was a part of the story, and each character brought something new to it. I really want to watch the movie now [and not just because R.Patz is in it, which is a big bonus].



So, two more books down. I'm thinking about re-reading The Hobbit soon since that movie just started filming, but I'm always looking for new books. The Help is one I want to read, too, before that movie comes out. I think the reading bug is back!

No comments: