6.30.2011

It's amazing how far technology has come.

As a little kid, technology wasn't a dominant force in my house. Yeah, we had a computer [I think it ran DOS...], and we had a Nintendo and Sega, but that was it. My sister and I spent most of our time outside or reading. It was hard to imagine a world past DOS, VCRs and landlines.

But now...man. A good 25 years later, and things have changed so much. There's WiFi, Smartphones, iPads and everything in between. When my world once revolved around face-to-face interaction, we now have Twitter and Facebook. Text messaging was the "new thing" when I was in high school; now, it's the norm. And that's just for adults - technology for babies/toddlers has evolved, too.

When JJ was born, I didn't know much about stuff for babies. I mean, I'd done my research, but as a newborn, JJ spent most of the day asleep. As he got older, I started to get him more toys and realized just how much stuff is out there. It's almost overwhelming how much stuff is out there for toddlers - and we're adding a new one to the collection this fall.



LeapFrog - a dominant staple in our household - is coming out with the LeapPad, which looks like a kiddo version of an iPad. I know the toy is for kids who are at least 4 years old, but most of JJ's toys are for age groups that are above him anyway - so I'm sure he'll love this and catch on to playing with it soon enough. It looks durable, too, which is a good thing...with a 2 1/2 year old, things get thrown. A lot.

I pre-ordered it for him today, and it should be here sometime in September. We'll have to hold on to it until his birthday in December [which, i can't guarantee the thing will stay in the box that long - but we're gonna try to hold out], but I'm so excited for him to have this. It's incredible how far technology has come, because I can guarantee you, we had NOTHING like this when I was his age. It'll be interesting to see how much further technology has evolved as he goes through his school years...it's hard to imagine things progressing past where they are now, but something new happens every day with technology that makes it bigger and better than the day before. I'm still trying to wrap my mind around the fact that people don't really have landlines anymore. Eesh.

No comments: