7.03.2011

What an awesome weekend so far.

My sister is a huge Musiq Soulchild fan. Like, huge - Musiq for her = Justin Timberlake for me [well, close, anyway]. So when she found out he was going to be at House of Blues Dallas yesterday, she told me I was going, and I happily obliged. I'm not a huge Musiq fan, but I was excited to go. And, it's been awhile since my sister and I had time together like that...so, she bought our GA tickets Friday, and we drove down yesterday afternoon.

I've been to House of Blues in Las Vegas - and the food was awesome there. The food at this one [I just got a salad] was awesome, too. I was a little disappointed in the chocolate cake though - it's not that it was bad; it just wasn't a cake I liked a lot. I probably should've gotten the swamp cookie...next time.

zThe highlight of the food part was...well, the drinks. The featured liquor was 901 - Justin Timberlake's tequila. Our waiter had me at "Justin Timberlake", so of course I had to have a drink featuring it.


We got a Blue Cadillac [blue mason jar] and a Memphis Lemonade [clear mason jar] - I was a much bigger fan of the Memphis Lemonade, so I claimed that one. It was so, SO good. I hope it's still around when we go to Vegas, because I want another one. And, I got to keep the mason jar! Sweet! We also had Blue Skittle shots...which seriously tasted like Skittles. I was very, very impressed.


We met up with some friends before the show and acted a fool in the restaurant, then my sister and I headed down with our two friends who went with us to the concert hall, which was below the restaurant. It was SO cool down there...there was an upstairs and downstairs, and we just got GA tickets since they were cheaper and the only ones available. It felt really intimate in the GA area - we couldn't even see any of the upstairs people, so it felt like we were the only ones in the entire place. It was pretty cool.

The opening act was supposed to be Bobby Valentino, which made me super excited...but then, he didn't come. So, Charlie B opened for him - a tweeny [one of the first things he said was that he was on RadioDisney] poppy artist who should've opened for Justin Bieber or Willow Smith. It wasn't that he was bad...he really had a good voice...but I'm almost positive no one under 21 was in the GA area, and I'm sure the crowd upstairs wasn't all that different. It was just the wrong demographic for the kid, so most of us spent his entire set looking at each other and wondering how we could relate to his songs when we were a good 10+ years older than him. Sigh.

A few minutes after he finished his set, Musiq hit the stage. Like I said before - my sister's a much bigger fan of his, so she was absolutely ecstatic. The man put on an amazing show, though, that's for sure. He sounded just as good live as I thought he would [possibly even better], and it made me a bigger fan of him than I was before the show. I only really know the first album, but I've heard some songs from his other releases and liked them. The show, though...it was so soulful. So genuine. It was like he was grateful to be there and to have all those fans, even though he's been in the business for years now. It was fun to be a part of that type of crowd, to unwind for nearly three hours and just enjoy a stripped-down show. I definitely plan on seeing him again if the opportunity arises.


We met up some the same friends from dinner afterward and went to this whack club where Big Sean was [and absolutely not impressed], then ate at IHOP and crashed out. The highlight of the entire night - and weekend [besides sleeping in and spending time at home] - was the show. I'm so glad we went. I totally plan on catching another show there when I can.

No comments: