3.27.2012

So long 25.

I'm not quite sure where the last year of my life has gone. I'm not quite sure how it flew by so fast. But tomorrow will begin the last five years of my 20s. I will officially be closer to 30 than 20, and that's exciting and depressing, all at once.

The older I get, the more I see 30 staring me down. Growing up, I always heard how 30 was the end of your youth, that you started to go downhill after that. Sure, it may be harder to have kids after you turn 30, but nowadays, I feel like 30 is the new 20. At the same time, it'd be naive of me to say that 30 will mean I'll be just like a 20-year-old again, and I won't be; those days are long gone now. I think I'm starting to truly feel old because a lot of things are behind me now. My 10-year high school reunion will be in two years, I graduated from college four years ago in May, I have a 3-year-old and another on the way, I've been married for 3 years...a lot of my big milestones are behind me now. Doesn't mean a lot more aren't ahead of me [like moving to a new place, buying a house, buying a new car etc.], but still. A lot of the "big changes" have already happened.

I will, however, say that 25 was a decently good year. Considering I started the year saying good-bye to my dad's dad, it wound up being a pretty good year after all. I think for the first time ever, I actually felt my age - I didn't say I acted it all the time, but I actually felt I should be right where I was. Ever since I had JJ, I always felt older than I was because I had him decently young [I was 22 when he was born]. Now that he's older, both J and I have stable careers and we're making more adult moves [new car, new digs etc.], I feel my age instead of just pretending to be my age.

A few things happened during the past year:

1. Gallbladder went bye-bye.
2. I went to Vegas for the third time - hell yeah!
3. OSU had the best.football.season.EVAR. [and yes, that was a shining moment for me - after being a fan for eight years and seeing the best and worst, this was the icing on the cake]
4. I got to spend extended time with J for the first time since he joined the Air Force. That was super, super nice. AND, he was home for Christmas and New Year's! Woo!
5. Found out I was pregnant again. That was the highlight of this past year, by far. :)

And I have more to look forward to:

1. Going to NYC for the first time to visit my awesome college roommate.
2. J and my dad will come home from Afghanistan!
3. Baby no. 2 will join our family, and I cannot WAIT.
4. A move may be in our future...?
5. My kiddo will turn four. FOUR. Where has the time gone?!

It's hard to believe that I'm at the point in my life where 30 is more realistic than 20, where kids graduating from high school this year were born when I was in elementary school, where all-nighters only happen when JJ isn't feeling well or can't sleep...but I honestly love my life. I wouldn't have it any other way. I am so incredibly blessed to have everything that I have, to have a wonderful husband and amazing son, to have a great family that is still there for me whenever I need them [whether I acknowledge I need them or not], to have lifelong friends that are just as awesome now as they were when we first became friends years ago - I just love where my life has gone. Six years ago, I wouldn't have imagined my life to be like this. Today, I'm not sure how I imagined my life any other way.

So, here's to you 25. You were fantastic. Let's hope 26 is just as, if not more, fantastic.

One of my fave pictures of me and JJ from year no. 25. Let's see what 26 brings!
 

No comments: