9.09.2012

Random update of sorts.

Even with our loss, life has gone on. A lot's happened in the past few months with our family:

1. JJ started gymnastics! My mom signed him up for July/August classes at the Bart Connor Gymnastics Academy to see if that could help him burn some energy [since swimming lessons did.not.work.at.all]. He wound up loving it, and he's started up fall classes; I'm hoping he can take classes in Stillwater as well during the week.
All great gymnasts have to start somewhere...like crawling under balance beams.
2. I got a new car! My Taurus did me good for almost six years, but it was time to upgrade. However, I haaaaaaate car shopping; I've been putting it off for months, but when my dad came home on R&R, he made me go look. I am forever grateful for that, though, because I wound up with this beauty:

Meet Arthur. Hi Arthur.
2013 Hyundai Sonata. I call it my sexy mom car, because that is one sexy car - and like, a million steps up from my beloved [but had serious issues in the end] Taurus. I named him Arthur, after Arthur Weasley - you know, Ron Weasley's dad who was super obsessed with Muggles and all their stuff? He loved cars [remember the Ford Anglia he enchanted to fly and be invisible?], and I just randomly thought of him as I was thinking of a name for my new car. I know Arthur isn't a sexy name, but oh well.

3. J got a new car, too! I mentioned in one post that he had gotten in a car accident, and his car was totaled [but he was OK besides some bumps and bruises, thank goodness]. While he was home, my mom took us to CarMax to look, and he found one he liked. He wasn't really game on another Nissan, but this one was love at first sight, I think

This car has no name yet. J won't let me name it. But I secretly call it Carmen.
2004 Nissan Maxima. Low mileage, loaded on the inside, and J loves it. Just needs a tint and maybe some paintwork, but for being an '04, it's in great shape. While I'm sure he misses his '02 Altima, I think this '04 has been a great replacement. My one qualm: it has leather interior. After dealing with the leather in my Taurus, I never want leather again.

Those are the three big things that have happened. My dad also came home for two weeks at the end of July/beginning of August, and we took another trip to Great Wolf. That trip is a little painful for me to remember since I was pregnant, but it was still a really fun trip. That was our third trip to Great Wolf in less than a year, and a fourth is in the works. We absolutely love that place [and all the shopping that comes along with the trip since it's in Grapevine].

Now that the days are changing from summer to fall -- well, more like from hot as Hades to normal summer temperatures -- there are more things to look forward to. The holidays are fast approaching, and I need to figure out what I'll dress JJ as for the fall carnivals we have in town [not sure he'll go trick-or-treating]. I need to make lists for Christmas presents, plan for holiday travel and get prepared for a new year. I'm considering starting on my master's, which means studying for the GRE. And once I go back to work after being off for six weeks, I know I'm going to be swamped. I look forward to it though; fall is my favorite time of the year, and I can't wait to snuggle in sweaters and wear boots. Well, I'm hoping to snuggle in sweaters and wear boots; I barely did any of those last year because we didn't really get a fall or winter. Lame.

Anyway.

I also want to decorate my apartment. Between my trips to IKEA [i could seriously go broke in that store] and Target, I have random ideas to spruce up my home of the last four years. That poor place is so dull, but I plan on changing that. I bought some things at IKEA [helloooo new dishes, glassware and drawer set for JJ] and Target [helloooooo new entryway storage, bathroom items and possible curtains], and I have plans for new bedroom furniture and TV storage. It's time to make my place look like something that's barely lived in into a home.

So there ya have it - proof that I have had, and still have, a life. Even though my world has been turned upside down, life goes on, and life has happy moments. I want to continue to have those happy moments, even in such sadness. I think Devon would want that, too.

No comments: