9.23.2012

Thanks. Lots of thanks.

When I was in the hospital waiting to get induced, a chaplain came by my room. He offered prayers, words of comfort and scripture, all of which helped me through those first few hours after we found out Devon was gone. Before he left, he told me that when I had a quiet moment, I needed to write down all the people I was thankful for and keep that list on me. Then, when the tough days rolled around, I would have that list to remind me of all the people in my life that have been there and helped me, and remember that they love and care about me.

After Devon was delivered and things quieted down, I started that list. Now that it's been five weeks since we lost him, I thought it was about time to thank those people in public [in no particular order]:

-- My sister. She was there for just about everything that happened and was such a source of strength for me as I went through the most difficult moments of my life. I am forever grateful that she's my sister.

-- My parents. They're amazing anyway, but they've also been here for me as I've gone through all this. My dad flew home as fast as he could; my mom's kept me busy while I've been on medical leave. Both have let me laugh, cry and veg in front of their new TV. I'm so thankful for them.

-- My husband. I know this wasn't easy for him either, but he's been there for me - especially during the first few days after we lost Devon. I hate that the first time I saw him since January 2nd was to say good-bye to out baby boy, but his presence and reassuring words were so helpful. Still are.

-- The MCU staff at Reynolds Army Community Hospital. They were so great, so kind, so patient as I went through everything. They all took such great care of me and were so compassionate. I couldn't have asked for better people to help me through the hardest time of my life.

-- My family doctor. He was also my OB and took really good care of me - always saw me when I had an issue and has been great as I've dealt with Devon's loss. I hope he's still here when we decide to try again.

-- My Pizazz girls. Almost four years ago, I met a group of girls through The Knot who were all getting married in March 2009. A small group stuck around and have become who I consider to be good friends, and they have been incredible. I will never be able to thank them enough for what they've done to support me.

-- My best friend. She and I have been friends for many years, and I call her my sage. She always knows what to say, when to say it, and is always there for me. I cherish our friendship and am so glad we're still close after all these years. She's been a source of comfort for me, even though she should be taking care of herself - she's having my godson in December, whose first name is Devon's middle name. :)

-- Our extended family. My family and Joe's family have been incredible through all this. From coming to the memorial to sending cards, flowers, words of comfort...they have been absolutely awesome.

-- My coworkers. I love my office because they're just so cool. They sent flowers and cards, have checked on me constantly and have been uber supportive. They will help making going back to work in a week easier, and I can honestly say I work in one of the best offices ever.

-- My friends. For those who have sent messages, said something on FB, posted on my blog, texted or called me, prayed for me...all of that has meant the world to me. It's great to know so many people care and has helped me through this.

The last five weeks have been full of ups and downs, highs and lows, tears and laughs. I'm starting to accept that life won't ever be the same and that Devon is gone, which is forcing me to start picking up the pieces of my broken heart and slowly move on. But with the help of these people, I'm in a better place and have been able to start to move forward. I'll never be able to thank them enough.


No comments: