1.05.2013

Work it out.

For ages, I've complained about how I look and how I feel. I wouldn't say I'm overweight [even though my BMI is probably on the border, especially since I've still got a few pounds from Devon's pregnancy still hanging around], but I know I can be more fit. When I was in college, I maintained my weight because I was so busy, not because I hit the gym regularly. I was at my smallest right before I got pregnant with JJ, and I've fluctuated since. I'm now comfortably in a 10 and able to get in an 8 at some places [like Ann Taylor and Gap], but I do have about 10 pounds hanging around that I'd like to get rid of.

I didn't make resolutions this year, but I made goals - and one of my goals is to finally get fit and take care of myself. I'm going to be my sister's matron of honor at her June 2014 wedding, and I want to look GOOD. It is possible that we'll have another baby before then, but working out now will help me lose the weight easier when the time does come. So I finally bit the bullet this year and got down to business.

I started taking this multivitamin pack from Vitamin World, and I split the pills up over the day [take part in the morning and part at night]. I've been taking them for about a week and already feel the difference - I have more energy, my moods are balancing out, and I just feel better. I might switch to a multivitamin that's just one pill or more focused on sports recovery because I'm running now, but we'll see. The vitamins aren't cheap, but if they'll keep me healthy and feeling good, I'll take it.

I also started FINALLY doing Couch to 5K - my first day was yesterday. I've been saying, "Oh, I'll do it, I'll do it," but I finally went to the on-campus gym yesterday and ran. It'll be a tight squeeze to get in running and lunch during my 1-hour break, but I think I can manage it if I plan ahead and change at work before I head to the gym. And I'll only run twice a week during the week and will try to get one run in during the weekend, so it's manageable. Once it's warmer, I'm considering running to the Colvin, showering and walking back, but we'll see. I plan on bringing lunch to work more often anyway, so I can just have a meal replacement shake or a sandwich and chips during my workout days - something quick and easy. I wasn't sure how running would go since my knees aren't the best in the world, but it wasn't that bad. It was a struggle to run the last couple of rotations because I was already tired, but I pushed through. Woot! But today, my legs are hella sore. Ha.

On the days that I don't run, I'll supplement with some sort of workout. I have 30 Day Shred that I can do at home, and there's a couple of exercise plans I found in a magazine that I can do at home. My issues is that since it's just me and JJ, I don't have the time to go to the gym before or after work...and I don't want to spend EVERY lunch hour at the gym, so I gotta find other ways to get in a workout between the running. I'll probably try 30 Day Shred tonight and see how that goes. Last time I did it, I didn't make it through the first day - but I think I can do it.

AND, I'm doing a 14-day ab challenge with a group of friends. One of them said she was doing it, then we all jumped on. This workout is intense:

- 25 normal crunches
- 25 crunches [lay on your left side]
- 25 left knee touches
- 25 crunches [legs only half bent]
- 25 crunches [lay on your right side]
- 25 right knee touches
- 25 crunches [legs flat on ground]
- 25-second plank hold
- 25 leg lift butt raise crunches

Today is day 4, and my abs have been protesting since the first day. I skipped yesterday because I fell asleep really early, so I did a set this morning when I got up and will do another set tonight. I can already see a difference, which is awesome; depending on how great the results are after 2 weeks, I might keep doing them every night.

I had to go to the doctor yesterday, and my weight is around 168 - which isn't bad considering I thought I'd tipped the scale at above 170 [especially with all the bad eating I did during the holidays]. But I still have about 5 pounds of pregnancy weight sticking around, then another 5-7 pounds sticking around that I want to get rid of. If I can be down 10 pounds by summer, that would be a miracle [and I might actually be OK with getting into a bathing suit again]. I do want to get in shape for my sister's wedding, but more importantly, I want to get in shape for me. I'm tired of looking in the mirror and not really liking what I look like without clothes on. I'm tired of saying that I'll get in shape and then don't do it. I'm determined to make 2013 a better, more fit year for me; so far, I'm off to a good start.

Proof that I actually went to the gym and ran. :)

No comments: